Thursday, February 26, 2009

How God Can Manifest His Presence Through You

At one time in my life when I was younger I struggled with the concept of God being real even though my parents poured God all over me like syrup on pancakes. I knew the Bible, participated in every church activity, sang all the hymns, attended Sunday school, youth group, family night, you name it. As I started to grow into my teen years I became aware that there was something missing in my life but I did not know what it was I was seeking. I felt lost, confused, and alone, even though I was surrounded by my family, my church, and friends who were strong in their faith. I was going through the motions but the realness of God was not something I completely owned as the Truth. It was not until I grasped the magnitude of God’s gift of His Son Jesus Christ to die for our sins on the cross and the resurrection and its impact on the disciples did my faith grow into a complete conviction of God’s true existence. For me it was the juxtaposition of the disciples place in the culture of the day, The Roman Empire, and their movement from nobodies to fearless spreaders of the Word. You see, it hit me that those people, those common folk chosen by Jesus to be his followers, had to actually see His death with their own eyes and then see Him alive free from the tomb and the binds of death. This miracle of all miracles convicted these men to sacrifice all and fearlessly go in service to Him even at the risk of their own deaths. The resurrection was real, Jesus was real, and therefore God was truly real!

For many people though, especially those who are hurting, or lost, or just struggling with this whole concept called God, it is difficult for them to believe. When you are hurting it is hard to grasp something that you can not physically touch, feel, hold, or see.

So what does God do then to make his presence known in these forms?

He calls on His followers. He Lives in us and uses us.

When we reach out to the lost and hurting He touches them.

When we share our love with them they feel His presence in our lives.
When we allow those who have trouble standing on their own to hold onto us for support He is holding them up as well.

And when they see our love for them as brothers or sisters in Christ they will see God.

So, if you have someone you know that is lost, who is hurting, or who is seeking this thing called God but is just not there yet what can you do?
Keep touching that person with God’s love. Keep letting them feel God’s presence in your life. Keep being strong in Christ so that they can hold onto you. And let them see God through the love you pour out onto them.

No comments: